My relationship has broken down – what should I do?

We are in the midst of a Public Health emergency and the impact on families can be huge. Many people have lost their jobs or on Furlough leave, adding financial pressure to an already difficult situation. Homes are crowded with children home from school and parents working from home. Many people are feeling anxious and scared.

Can I leave the house?

The Stay at Homes Rules state that only essential travel is allowed however the Home Secretary Priti Patel has made it clear that victims of Domestic abuse are allowed to leave their property in order to seek help.

Can I see a solicitor?

At the moment we are not able to have face to face meetings but are happy to see new clients over Zoom, Skype, WhatsApp video or have a telephone meeting. We can discuss the options that are available to you and how these may be impacted on or restricted by the current Covid-19 situation.

Can I start divorce proceedings or make an application to court about Financial or Children matters?

Yes it is possible to start divorce proceedings or make an application to court to ask a Judge to consider your financial or children arrangements. It may take a little longer than usual and the initial court hearings for financial and children cases are now taking place via video link or telephone.

What happens to the house?

At the moment it is not possible to get an estate agent to value a house and mortgage companies are becoming more restrictive about how and what terms they will lend money. It is not currently possible to view new properties either to rent or buy. This may result in matters taking a little longer than usual to get resolved.

What about the children?

Children under the age of 18 whose parents live in separate houses are allowed to travel between the households.

For further information or advice please contact us by completing the contact form or emailing Kate Barton or Gary Watson


The content of this article is correct as at the date of posting and is for information purposes only. Whilst we try and ensure it is accurate we do not warrant or guarantee that this is the case, nor do we accept any responsibility in the event that it is relied on. The information is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice which you are recommended to obtain.

Back to News